Rexash is run by me, Simon Hesselberg, and I provide consultancy services in relation to the Deaf World and British Sign Language from my base in Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex.
I have 40 years experience of the Deaf world both in the UK and internationally, and until recently was Head of Community Development Team at the Royal Association for Deaf people, covering London and Southeast of England, working with the Deaf communities, Deaf Centres and Deaf clubs.
My work involves teaching and assessing in British Sign Language (to interpreter level), providing support and mentoring, and representation with respect to UK Disability benefits and allowances.
I was born in Sussex, and then moved to Birmingham where I grew up and attended Braidwood School for the Deaf which was an oral school and signing was not allowed!
After I left school I worked for Birmingham City Council for 17 years, and then moved to London where I was the Community Officer for Brent Deaf Peoples Group till 2004. From 2005 to 2011 I worked for RAD.
I started teaching BSL in 1971 with Breakthrough Trust (DeafPLUS now) and taught at all levels from Stage 1 to interpreter level. I also taught at degree level at University of Wolverhampton 1991 to 1994 and the NVQ system at University of Sussex 1999 to 2007. Since 2007, I retired from teaching all together!
I have been in the Deaf world since 1971 and attended many conferences, congresses, and seminars. Also I have considerable working experiences in Deaf world exhibitions such as Deaf Day at the City Lit for the past 10 years. I have presented papers at the World Federation for Deaf people at their congresses at Vienna (1995), Brisbane (1999), Montreal (2003) and Madrid (2007).
My interests are travelling, reading, television, socialising, genealogy, deaf studies and computing.
- Member of the Tribunals (Appeals Services) for Disability Living Allowances / Attendance Allowances / Personal Independence Payments
- Trustee for Action for Deafness
- Freelance Deaf Interpreter Freelance Consultant on Deaf Issues
- Trainee Mentor for BSL Interpreters
- Managing Director for Rexash Consultancy Ltd
- Member of the Deaf Law Centre Management Committee
- Treasurer of Brent Deaf Club
- Manager of Brent Deaf People’s Group
- Lecturer at University of Wolverhampton and Sussex (Deaf Studies)
- Head of Community Development, Royal Association for Deaf People
- CACDP Stage 3 BSL ( Old and New Version )
- Linguistics Module, Level 2 & 3 – City University
- British Sign language Tutor Training Certificate – Durham University
- City and Guilds 730/07 Part 1 & 2 Teaching Adults
- Certificate in Managing Voluntary and Community Organisations – University of Sussex
- National Vocational Qualifications Assessor and Internal Verifier
Trainer for Interpreters
- NVQ Level 4 in British Sign Language ( Language Module)
- Member of the British Deaf History Society
- Member of the Editorial Board at www.sussexdeafhistory.org.uk
- DeafBlind Communicator (Hands On System)
- Deaf Community and Culture
- Exhibition and conference organiser
- British Sign Language
- International Sign Language
- Author of papers presented at World Federation of Deaf ( Vienna 1995, Brisbane 1999, Montreal 2003 and Madrid 2007)
- Genealogist – national and international
- Disability Living Allowance / Attendance Allowance / Personal Independence Payments Benefits
- Fundraising (Lottery funds, trusts and charitable organisations )
- Speaker at conferences / seminars / meetings on Deaf issues
- Dog Breeder of Boxers and West Highland White Terriers
- Dog Show Judge for Boxers.
- Volunteer at Action for Deafness (AFD)